Thursday, February 18, 2010

X-Block

This is the fabric I pulled from my stash to make this quilt. It's from the Sweet Dreams line by Robyn Pandolph. The pink is something I just happened to have and it matched perfectly. I played with the idea of using one of the greens but it seemed to fade into the prints. I will use it for the backing. This is the pattern I picked. There is more contrast in the two main fabric they used in their quilt but I was determined to use some of the fabrics in my stash. If I don't, I won't have room for new. That's my logic.
This is 6 1/2 inch X-Block. It also comes in 7 1/2 for a larger finished block.

This is so simple. Depending on the pattern you choose you sew strips together.

Line up the ruler on the appropriate lines and cut. The dotted lines is what was required on this quilt. I find it helpful to starch the strips so they stay true.

By flipping the ruler over you get two different blocks, right and left sides.
Rotate your block, chain sew and your ready to put your quilt top together.

These are the blocks sewen together. Now we need borders.

I hung the quilt outside and there was a slight breeze. It was a beautiful 70 degrees so I couldn't resist. Because it isn't quilted yet you can see the seam lines in this photo and and they don't show in the photo above. In March I will focus on developing my "quilting skills" starting with feathers. This quilt would be great for that. Stay tuned.

I'm getting ready for the quilt retreat in Oregon next week and I will be demonstrating the X-Block using this quilt as an example.
Tonight is the Tokay Quilt Guild meeting and I'm putting the borders on my table runner so I can have it for show and tell. I'm anxious to see how some of the quilts turned out.

Have a blessed day and enjoy the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment