Sunday, June 27, 2010

Whoo-hoo

Yep, that's what we heard off and on for three days. I spent three days at a Ricky Tim's seminar. Alex Anderson and Libby Lehman were part of the fun. I learned so much and got so much inspiration from the three of them. In addition to teaching techniques they also shared their journey in quilting and some about their lives. Ricky started quilting in 1991 and shared his first experiences, first quilt and his goals. He is a terrific entertainer and he performed a concert for us on Friday night. It is hard to believe somebody can be so talented in to many areas. I wanted to share some pictures with you. This is Ricky in front of two of his quilts. We were allowed to go up on the stage and take pi cutes and get up close and personal with the incredible work he does.
This quilt is by Libby Lehman. She is so funny and tells great jokes during her demonstrations. She is very knowledgeable about sewing machines and threads. Believe me when I tell you, these pictures do not do these quilts justice.

This is one of the quilts that Libby demonstrated the technique for us. I do think I could do something like this. She sure made it look easy. The machine attachment she used to do this technique happens to be part of my "what the heck is this thing for" box. Now for those who don't have one of the attachments, Meissner's was there with a store set up and you could purchase any Bernina sewing machine made, including sewing machine tables and quilting frames. They were even offering 36 months, no interest financing.


I have always admired Alex Anderson. She did a trunk show at Manteca Quilt guild and that's when I first saw this quilt. Alex is known for her HGTV show, Simply Quilts, and her hand quilting. When you get up close to this quilt it is almost unbelievable that some one could hand quilt all that. What a work of art.

This quilt is another example of Libby's quilting and thread art. It is so beautiful.

This is another of Alex's quilts that show cases her beautiful hand quilting. She did a lectures on how to chose the right quilt design for your quilt and other very useful information . She also demonstrated hand quilting.

This is another quit by Ricky.

This quilt is demonstrates a new technique he is working on, using photo's. Looks like he perfected it to me.

This is Ricky's quilt tool It was hanging on the stage and I studied this one up close. He quits his quilts too and doesn't use a long arm. That was the message I needed to hear. He explained his process and I'm ready to take on my stack of quilt tops.

This is another one of his quilts. He explained the process, from designing to binding this quilt. He breaks each step into small increments so you get motivated to give it a try. If you ever get the chance to attend a Ricky Tims' Super Quilt Seminar, DO IT. I'm sure you won't regret it.

The quilt pictured below is the first quilt Ricky made. His message throughout the three days is never give up. Everything you do will be a learning experience and a step closer to your goal of becoming the quilter you want to be.

I don't know what's up with the corner of this picture but I think you get the idea. Ricky is a great story teller and when he tells about his first quilt he credits other quilters who encouraged him and shared their quilt tips and techniques with him.

In two weeks I will be in Sister's Oregon for the fabulous outdoor quilt show. I'm working there this year but I will find a way to take hundreds of pictures and get more inspiration.
I hope you enjoyed these pictures, your Sunday is blessed and you have a fabulous week ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment