Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Let it Snow

This is the view outside my quilt room window. I think it is so beautiful. I wish Tami, Ben, and Brandon were here to share this with. The sky is clearing and the sun is warming the air and starting to melt the snow. It started snowing early this morning. I walked outside and stood in the silence watching the flakes as they hit the ground. It is such a peaceful experience.I got dressed and took a walk in the snow. Six months ago I would never have dreamed that I would be experiencing this. This is a picture from the drive way. You can see my footprints leading to and from the house.
This is a shot from in front of our house. I thought I could make a snowman but the snow was too dry and flaky.

This is a shot of a portion of our backyard taken from the back of the garage. So what do you do when it's cold outside and the snow is slowly melting? You cozy up to your sewing machine and quilt. I got all my Thanksgiving shopping done and there is no need to go out. I will enjoy all of this from my window.
Below is a picture of the first of 12 blocks in the 2008 Web Sampler Celebration quilt. I really like the Civil War fabrics. My quilting friends don't care for them and I'm not sure why I'm so attracted to them. During that time in our history quilts were a functional must have. Quilts were made up of recycled fabric from old clothes. I read that an antique quilt from that period of time was quilted with newspaper being used as the batting. That brings new meaning to recycle. Today most of as make quilts to challenge our quilting skills and because we love certain fabrics and designs. We also make them to celebrate a birth, weddings, anniversary or other special occasion, making them an heirloom.

This is the second block in the set. I'm piecing the rows of the 3rd block this afternoon and I'll start cutting out block #4. These blocks do take some time to cut and piece.

When I'm finished with this quilt I will start on Web Sampler 2010.

I hope you have a blessed day and find time to think about all the things you have to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment