Thursday, February 10, 2011

TA DA DAY

Greetings. Remember the blocks I posted on January 22? This is the finished quilt. Paul is on a step ladder trying to hold it up but it looks like his wing span was not sufficient either. So, here is it on the floor. I love the fabrics in this quilt. There is one block pattern in the light color way and the same block in the dark, 12 different blocks done in the light and 12 in the dark making 24 blocks total. Love It!!!!
Below is the fabric I will be using on my next project. Kinda crazy but I have a vision. The pattern for this quit is in the book Cottage-Style Quilts by Mary Hickey. I think I bought this book about five years ago at Pacific International. I don't buy a lot of books because I can never find the fabric that works for the quilt pattern I want to make in the book. These fabrics are nothing like the ones used in the quilt featured in the book but I think they will work. I do have reservation on the second green in the line up. I might have to dig deeper in my stash. My goal is to have this finished this month. It will be a surprise so stay tuned, film at eleven!
To help take our minds off Max, and ease the hurt in our hearts, we visited a couple of quilt shops. Details on Max at the end of this post. Greenbaum's Quilted Forest was like walking into a quilt show. They are located in Salem. They had so many beautiful quilt hanging all over. They were hung high from the ceiling so it was hard to get good pictures. The staff there were wonderful. The quilt below was so simple but the quilting on it really made it stunning. I love the soft colors.
This is the back of the quilt. It's hard to see the quilting but you could show either side of this beauty.

These tea pots are so bright and fun. The fabrics in this quilt are my inspiration. Mary has the pattern so I'm going to start my hunt for fabric.

This next picture is a darling wall hanging that measures 27" x 33" finished. There are 100 little rice lights on it that light up and twinkle. The pattern is very easy, the challenge will be finding all the embellishments. The pattern is by Cheryl Ennis at The Teddy Bears Quilt Workshop in Lebanon, OR.

This next quilt is amazing. It's called A Birds Eye View buy Terrie's Quilts in Dallas, OR. At first glance I thought it was a panel. It's appliqued and then you bring the quilt to life with crayons, colored pencils and markers. There is a Melt 'N' Blend technique that she teaches and uses on this quilt. The picture doesn't do it justice. This is a quilt I want to hang in my home.

So, about Max. Max is Larry and Mary's nine year old Rottweiler. He was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor on a bone in his left front leg. They were not happy with the options given by the Vet in Roseburg so they decided to get a second opinion at the Veterinary school at the University of Oregon in Corvallis. I went along for support. This experience brought back memories of Herkie and I thought Mary could use some company on the drive up and back. Max stayed for surgery and they will be picking him up on Friday. They are removing the part of the bone with the tumor and he will have chemo treatments and hopefully live cancer free.
The picture below is of a friend I made while waiting for Mary. I don't remember what breed this dog is but he is very big and acts like a big kid. His hair was soft and silky and I think I pet and scratched for about four hours that morning. His Mom gave me permission to take his picture. They drove down from Washington to get care for the other dog and in my books that speaks volumes about this teaching hospital. They were waiting for his brother, who also has cancer. What's up with all this cancer?

It's 30 degrees outside and the sun is burning away the fog. It should be in the 50's and sunny all day. I'm going to start cutting out my surprise quilt. Until next time have a blessed day and take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment